From 2005 – 2015, the TeraNano PIRE project produced a large number of publications highlighting both our research and educational achievements. To view publications, click on the year tab in the sections below.
TeraNano PIRE Research Publications
TeraNano PIRE Education Awards & Publications on NanoJapan: IREU Program
- 2013 NASPA: Association of Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education Best Practices in International Education Award for Study Abroad Programming
- 2013 Finalist for the NAFSA: Association of International Educator's Simon Spotlight Award
- 2012 National Academy of Engineering Report on "Infusing Real World Experiences into Engineering Education"
- One of only two international programs selected from entries nationwide to be profiled in the National Academy of Engineering’s 2012 Infusing Real World Experiences into Engineering Education
- Citation: National Research Council. (2012). "NanoJapan: Connecting U.S. Undergraduates with the Best of Nanotechnology Research in Japan", Infusing Real World Experiences into Engineering Education, Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, pp. 35. (Download PDF Online)
- 2008 Institute of International Education Heiskell Award as a ‘Best Practice’ in Study Abroad
- For the expansion of international opportunities to engineering and science students.
- Citation: S. Bishop. (2008). "2008 Heiskell Awards: Best Practices in International Education", IIENetworker, Spring, pp. 12 – 18. (Download PDF)
- Matherly, C., & Ragusa, G., & Phillips, S. R., & Chapman, C. A. (2016, June), International vs. Domestic Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): A Three-Year Assessment of the Preparation of Students for Global Workforces. Paper presented at 2016 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, New Orleans, Louisiana. DOI: 10.18260/p.27320
- Matherly, C., & Phillips, S. R., & Chapman, C. A. (2015, June), The Impact of International Research Experiences on Undergraduate Learning. Paper presented at 2015 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Seattle, Washington. DOI: 10.18260/p.24881
- Ragusa, G., & Matherly, C, & Phillips, S.R. (2014, October), Comparison of the Impact of Two Research Experiences for Undergraduate Programs on Preparing Students for Global Workforces. Paper presented at 2014 IEEE: Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), Madrid, Spain. DOI: 10.1109/FIE.2014.7044297 (Download PDF)
- Phillips, S.R., & Matherly, C.A, & Kono, J. (2014, September), NanoJapan-International research experience for undergraduates program: Fostering U.S.-Japan Research Collaborations in Terahertz Science and Technology of Nanostructures. Paper presented at Proc. SPIE 9188, Optics Education and Outreach III, 918805, San Diego, California. DOI:10.1117/12.2060166 (Download PDF)
- Matherly, C., & Phillips, S. R., & Kono, J., & Curtis, S. M. (2014, June), Why Invest in International Research Experiences for Undergraduates?: Intercultural Maturity in Domestic and International REU Participants. Paper presented at 2014 ASEE International Forum, Indianapolis, Indiana. https://peer.asee.org/17205
- Matherly, C., & Phillips, S. R., & Kono, J. (2013, June), NanoJapan International Research Experience for Undergraduates. Paper presented at 2013 ASEE International Forum, Atlanta, Georgia. https://peer.asee.org/17260
- Besterfield-Sacre, M. E., & Ragusa, G., & Matherly, C., & Phillips, S. R., & Shuman, L. J., & Howard, L. (2013, June), Assessing the Spectrum of International Undergraduate Engineering Educational Experiences Paper presented at 2013 ASEE International Forum, Atlanta, Georgia. https://peer.asee.org/17220
- Matherly, C.A., & and Phillips, S.R. (2016, November), Global Education through PIRE: Challenges and Successes of the NanoJapan Program. Invited talk at 18th Annual Colloquium on International Engineering Education, New York, New York.
- Phillips, S.R., & Matherly, C.A. (2014). "Expanding International Opportunities for Science and Engineering Students: A Case Study of the NanoJapan International Research Experience for Undergraduates Program", IIE Networker, Fall 2014. (Available Online)
- Phillips, S.R., & Matherly, C.A., & Kono, J. (2014). "NanoJapan: An International Research Experience," Optics & Photonics News, June 2014, pp. 18-19. (Download PDF)
- Matherly, C.A., & Phillips, S.R., & Brooks, E., & and Yamada, M. (2012, December), A U.S. And Japanese Student Outlook On The Impact Of International Research Internships. Invited talk at the Third International Symposium on Terahertz Nanoscience, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Matherly, C.A, & Phillips, S.R., & and Kono, J. (2011). "NanoJapan: Connecting U.S. Undergraduates with the Best of Nanoscience Research in Japan," APS Physics Forum on Education Newsletter, Spring 2011. (Available Online)
- Matherly, C.A., & and Phillips, S.R. (2011). "NanoJapan: Preparing Globally Savvy Researchers," IIE Networker, (Spring 2011). (Available Online)
- Kono, J., & Phillips, S.R., & and Matherly, C.A. (2008). "Rice University NanoJapan Program: Connecting US Undergraduates with Leading Japanese Nanotechnology Research Laboratories: National Science Foundation and NSF PIRE:U.S.-Japan Cooperative Research and Education Ultrafast and Nonlinear Optics in 6.1 Angstrom Semiconductors", Tokyo Regional Office National Science Foundation, Tokyo Regional Office: Special Scientific Report #08-01. (Available Online)
- Alexander, L., & Matherly, C., & Besterfield-Sacre, M., & Shuman, L. (2008, June), Internationalizing Our Engineers: Short Term Experiential Programs Abroad For Engineering Students Paper presented at 2008 Annual Conference & Exposition, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. https://peer.asee.org/3669
- Phillips, S.R. (2008, March), Study Abroad for Science and Technology Students, Invited talk at 3rd Annual IIE Best Practices Conference, New York City, New York. (Download PDF).
- Matherly, C., & Nolting, W. (2007, March). Educational experience abroad: Preparation for a globalized workplace. National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Journal, 14–44.
- C.A. Matherly and S.R. Phillips, "A U.S. and Japanese Student Outlook on the Impact of International Research Internships", NAFSA 2013 Annual Conference and Expo, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, May 26 – 31, 2013.
- C.A.. Matherly and S.R. Phillips, "NanoJapan: Connecting U.S. Undergraduates with the Best of Japanese Nanotechnology Research", NAFSA 2012 Annual Conference and Expo, Houston, TX, USA, May 30, 2012.
- C.A. Matherly and S.R. Phillips, "NanoJapan: Connecting US Engineering Students with the Best of Japanese Nanotechnology Research", NAFSA: Association of International Educators National Conference, May 30-June 4, 2010. Kansas City, Missouri.
- M. Williams, "New Test Reveals Purity of Graphene", Rice News, August 13, 2014. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "Nanotubes Boost Terahertz Detector", Rice News, June 11, 2014. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "Rice, University of Tokyo Agree to Collaborate", Rice News, April 7, 2014. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "NanoJapan Visitors Come Out for Owls", Rice News, February 28, 2014. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "RAMBO: A Small but Powerful Magnet", Rice News, January 6, 2014. (Access Article Online)
- J. Boyd, "Rice-Columbia Course Examines Frontiers of Physics Research", Rice News, December 10, 2013. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "NanoJapan: A Big Experience", Rice News, August 5, 2013. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "Rice Builds Nanotube Photodetector", Rice News, February 27, 2013. (Access Article Online)
- N. Horiuchi, "View from TeraNano 2011: Terahertz Nano Exploration", Nature Photonics, 6, pp. 82 – 33 (2012). doi:10.1038/nphoton.2012.4 (Download PDF)
- M. Williams, "Academy Report is Twice as Nice for Rice Engineering: National Academy of Engineering highlights Beyond Traditional Borders, NanoJapan in Report on Exemplary Programs", Rice News, November 15, 2012. (Access Article Online)
- M. Williams, "The beat goes on for NanoJapan Program", Rice News, June 16, 2011. (Access Article Online)
- J. Boyd, "Reverse NanoJapan: Rice to host 25-30 Japanese students Tsunami’s impact warrants location change for summer study abroad", Rice News, May 11, 2011. (Access Article Online)
- Staff, "Earthquake Impact Reverses NanoJapan Plans", Photonics Spectra, August, (2011). (Access Article Online)
- J. Boyd, "Rice University’s award-winning NanoJapan program wins $4M grant Undergraduate program combines study-abroad, research experiences", Rice News, September 21, 2010. (Access Article Online)
- J. Boyd, "NanoJapan expands summer intern program Elionix joins award-winning study-abroad program as industrial partner", Rice News, July 14, 2009. (Access Article Online)
- J. Boyd, "Rice Wins Innovation Award for NanoJapan", Rice News, January 30, 2008. (Access Article Online)
- K.J. Moore, "International Internships", Chemical & Engineering News, 86, 44, pp. 57 – 60 (2008). (Access Article Online)
- K.J. Moore, "Cultural Confusion: Working abroad is fraught with difficulties, but it is also rewarding", Chemical & Engineering News, 86, 44, pp. 58 – 59 (2008). (Access Article Online)
- Staff Writer, "NANO JAPAN, the United States Japan Student Internship Program — Interview with Junichiro Kono (Rice University)", Nanotech Japan Bulletin, pp. 25 – 28, (2008). (Download PDF)
- D. Bremer, "Engineering the World", International Educator, Nov+Dec, pp. 30 – 37, (2007). (Download PDF)
- M. Dimond, "Rice Receives $2.2 million for International Project", Rice News, December 15, 2005. (Access Article Online)
NanoJapan: IREU Student Peer-Reviewed Publications
As a further testament to the impact on students’ career development as science and engineering researchers, to date, the following NanoJapan alumni have been listed as co-authors in peer-reviewed journal articles published in prestigious journals.
To date, 12 NanoJapan: IREU alumni have had articles published arising from their summer research in peer-reviewed journal articles. Student author names are bolded.
- C.B. Reynolds, M. Shoufie Ukhtary, and R. Saito, “Absorption of THz Electromagnetic Wave in Two Mono-layers of Graphene,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 49, 195306 (2016).
- Ushiba, J. Hoyt, K. Masui, J. Kono, S. Kawata, and S. Shoji, “Macroscopic Ensembles of Aligned Carbon Nanotubes in Bubble Imprints Studied by Polarized Raman Microscopy,” Journal of Nanomaterials 2014, 632501 (2014).
- Sano, I. Kawayama, M. Tabata, K. A. Salek, H. Murakami, M. Wang, R. Vajtai, P. M. Ajayan, J. Kono, and M. Tonouchi, “Imaging Molecular Adsorption and Desorption Dynamics on Graphene Using Terahertz Emission Spectroscopy,” Scientific Reports, (2014). doi:10.1038/srep06046
- He, N. Fujimura, J. M. Lloyd, K. J. Erickson, A. A. Talin, Q. Zhang, W. Gao, Q. Jiang, Y. Kawano, R. H. Hauge, F. Léonard, and J. Kono, “Carbon Nanotube Terahertz Detector,” Nano Letters, to appear (2014). Doi: 10.1021/nl5012678
- R. T. Nugraha, E. I. Rosenthal, E. H. Hasdeo, G. D. Sanders, C. J. Stanton, M. S. Dresselhaus, and R. Saito, “Excitonic Effects on Coherent Phonon Dynamics in Single-Wall Carbon Nanotubes,” Physical Review B 88, 075440 (2013).
- Ushiba, S. Shoji, K. Masui, P. Kuray, J. Kono, and S. Kawata, "3D Microfabrication of Single-Wall Carbon Nanotube/Polymer Composites by Two-Photon Polymerization Lithography," Carbon 59, 283 (2013).
- M. Mahjoub, A. Nicol, T. Abe, T. Ouchi, Y. Iso, M. Kida, N. Aoki, K. Miyamoto, T. Omatsu, J. P. Bird, D. K. Ferry, K. Ishibashi, and Y. Ochiai, "GR-FET Application for High-frequency Detection Device,” Nanoscale Research Letters 8, 22 (2013)
- Ren, Q. Zhang, C. L. Pint, A. K. Wójcik, M. Bunney, T. Arikawa, I. Kawayama, M. Tonouchi, R. H. Hauge, A. A. Belyanin, and J. Kono, "Collective Antenna Effects in the Terahertz and Infrared Response of Highly Aligned Carbon Nanotube Arrays," Physical Review B 87, 161401(R) (2013).
- T. Yuan, M. Toh, K. Morimoto, W. Tan, F. Wei, H. Shimotani, Ch. Kloc, and Y. Iwasa, "Liquid-Gated Electric-Double-Layer Transistor on Layered Metal Dichalcogenide, SnS2," Applied Physics Letters 98, 012102 (2011).
- Zhao, E. Einarsson, G. Lagoudas, J. Shiomi, S. Chiashi, and S. Maruyama "Tunable Separation of Single-walled Carbon Nanotubes by Dual-surfactant Density Gradient Ultracentrifugation," Nano Research 4, 623 (2011)
- Cooper, H. Amano, M. Hiraide, S. Houkyou, I. Y. Jang, Y. J. Kim, H. Muramatsu, J. H. Kim, T. Hayashi, Y. A. Kim, M. Endo, and M. S. Dresselhaus, "Freestanding, Bendable, Thin Film for Supercapacitors Using DNA-Dispersed Double Walled Carbon Nanotubes," Applied Physics Letters 95, 233104 (2009).
- Murakami, B. Lu, S. Kazaoui, N. Minami, T. Okubo, and S. Maruyama, "Photoluminescence Sidebands of Carbon Nanotubes Below the Bright Singlet Excitonic Levels," Physical Review B 79, 195407 (2009).
NanoJapan: IREU Student Research Posters